Friday 1 August 2014

In the music.....

This week I was sent a link from a friend to an article that discussed the long-term positive benefits for your brain when you play an instrument.  It reminded me of the drive that finally pushed me through the barriers of fear of failure, performance anxiety and a busy family life to rekindle my musical life and begin playing my own songs in public.

Although I loved listening to my favourite musicians, and dancing around the house with the kids to our eclectic collection turned up loud was the best way to wind down at the end of the day,  I was often aware that something was missing.....  It felt like I didn't want to just listen to the music, I wanted to be IN the music.

There is a something special about participating in music making, whether it's playing an instrument, singing with others or performing.  A synergy occurs between your mind, body and senses - it's immediate, it's powerful and it's life-affirming.  You might think it takes years of practice and expertise to get to the point where the music you make will be good enough for you to enjoy hearing it, but I know from experience that even simple sounds, like drumming or humming can be exhilarating, fun and a joy for yourself and others to listen to.  You are making the sound - you are celebrating life.

Clare Bowditch, a Melbourne songwriting treasure, once said that jealousy can be a sign that you have an unmet need.  Have you ever watched a musician perform and felt that inner fire, wishing somehow that could be you?

My advice to you is don't wait any longer.  Take the chance to engage in music making, pick up that neglected instrument, start those lessons you've often wondered about, sing out loud that melody that has been floating around in your mind.....be IN the music.

How playing an instrument creates fireworks in your brain

Clare Bowditch - one of my faves


No comments:

Post a Comment