Sunday 31 August 2014

Here's to lovely musical afternoons.

Whoops, it's Monday morning, and this post is a few days overdue!  Not to worry, time is an illusion, at least that's my excuse today.

In fact I had a tremendous weekend, including teaching my usual Saturday morning singing and piano lessons, that never fail to get me off to a good start, an awesome wild party on Saturday night for friend's 50th birthday and finishing with the fabulous Darebin Songwriters Guild.

8 years ago I came across the inaugural guild meeting hosted by Wendy Ealey and Moira Tyers, two wonderful community spirited musicians who wanted to foster the songwriting talent of our little corner of Melbourne called Darebin.  Many, many inspiring and friendly Sunday afternoons later, Wendy and Moira have gone from strength to strength and are now playing all over the place as The Dixie Chooks and other musical incarnations.
(Find out more here http://www.ealeyandtyers.com/etprojects.html)

Moira and Wendy created a warm, encouraging space that has embraced hundreds of performers in the last 8 years and given them a chance to play, develop their craft and collaborate with others.  I, myself was able to meet Dean Lombard and Bernard De La Couer, with whom I have formed a great creative relationship and who supported me in my show "What If?"

At the end of 2013, Wendy and Moira found that it was time to move on and Dean and I were honoured to be asked to be the new co-ordinators.  At first I wondered how we would fill their shoes - but the Guild has formed a life of its own and it rolls on, fed by the talent, enthusiasm and friendship of the songwriting community it has helped to grow - it's a wonderful circle!

And so it was that Dean and I got to stand behind the mixing desk at Bar 303 in Northcote yesterday afternoon and hear 10 amazingly diverse and talented songwriter's share their stuff.  We smiled and sighed and I said, "Aren't we lucky?"

10 years ago, I didn't know I would be hosting such an event, but the persistent steps that I have taken have got me here and I wonder where the steps I take today will get me?

If you are songwriter looking for a place to play, that really gets what it takes to stick your neck out and play your own songs on stage, look us up and come along.  See our Facebook page or email us here: darebinsongwritersguild@gmail.com


No comments:

Post a Comment